Saturday, September 18, 2010

"The Town" Looks Like the Box Office Gift Winner This Week

Been a while since I have paid a lot of attention to the box office numbers. There really hasn't been a whole lot at the theaters I have been interested in seeing. With this big "3-D" phenomenon I can honestly say that I have looked the other way at more than a few movies due to the 3-D aspect of it. Not saying I HATE 3-D, but I am just not all that impressed with how most of these films are rendered in it after seeing how good 3-D can truly look. Just waiting for the cash grab to blow over where films actually use this the way it is meant to be used rather than for a crappy reason to jack the ticket price up 50% for something that didn't even need it.

As we roll into the Christmas season the movies should start to get a little better. Whether it has been a great year, or not I always look to buy some movie related gifts for the family. Be it a popcorn bucket for free popcorn all year with a handful of tickets inside, or just a nice gift card to stuff into a stocking, or on one of their fresh Christmas wreaths where we have been putting cards and other small gifts the last couple of years.

Ben Affleck's bank-robbing thriller "The Town" looks like a nice start to the upcoming fall and Christmas season of movies. At least it is something I would probably be interested in seeing and I can finally use some of the damn gift cards to see a movie. The Town grabbed the box-office crown Friday night. The film, which takes audiences to the smash-and-grab underworld of director and star Affleck's hometown of Boston, and features Blake Lively, Jon Hamm, Jeremy Renner and Rebecca Hall, topped the end-of-the-work-week box office with an estimated $8.4 million.

No comments: